Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Snow Days!

For the last two days, and possibly tomorrow, Greyson and I have gotten to spend the days at home! There is a crazy ice and snow storm going on in North Texas, and the high for today in Denton is 17 degrees! Needless to stay he and I have been staying indoors by the fire. (The picture below is from a couple of weeks ago when Greyson experienced his first snowstorm.)

There are also rolling blackouts to conserve energy! Insanity! So far, we have somehow managed to escape this nonsense, but it is only noon as I write this, so we shall see how long this lasts for us.

The time off has been great since we have been so busy lately. I am finally getting the time to do productive things like clean bathrooms and do laundry. And, of course, give me some free time and I'm likely to bake something. Today's special was a Jared request...chocolate cupcakes. I didn't have cake mix, which he would actually prefer--kills me--so I made chocolate mayonnaise cake with chocolate frosting. If you've never had mayonnaise cake, let me tell you it is delicious! You have to make sure to use Miracle Whip for it to turn out right, but honestly, you would never know it was in there! If you use Miracle Whip Light, it will taste like chocolate cake, but it will be a lovely shade of olive green. I learned this in 6th grade when Tiffany Little and I decided to bake it one afternoon...but I digress.

Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Ingredients:
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
4 Tblsp. cocoa (Hershey's)
1 cup Miracle Whip
1 cup cold water
2 tsp vanilla

Directions: Mix together dry ingredients. Add next four ingredients and mix until smooth. Bake in a 9 by 13 inch cake pan at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Let cool completely before frosting.

Chocolate Frosting
Ingredients:
3/4 pkg powdered sugar
4 Tblsp cocoa (Hershey's)
1 stick of melted butter
approx. 1/2 cup milk

Directions: Melt butter and mix in cocoa. Add powdered sugar and milk until you reach the desired consistency.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment