Wednesday, February 2, 2011

6 Months Old!


It's official, Greyson is 6 months old! I can't believe he has been apart of our lives for half a year! Time has flown by so quickly! I am starting to pack up his 0-3 month clothes (very thankful for the snow days we have had since I've procrastinated) and I can't believe how much he has grown! He can finally wear the cute jean diapers I bought for him before he was born! It's crazy to think that he was so small just a few months ago! We took professional photos when he was 4 months old and even in the last two months he has changed in so many ways!
Align Center
At his 6 month appointment we found out that Grey has doubled his birth weight! He is weighing in at 17 pounds 6 ounces (50th %) and he is 27 inches long (50th %). We knew that his head was big because none of his age range hats fit him, and that is because he is in the 75th percentile for noggin size! Again, I keep telling people it's because he has a big brain! Haha

This last month has been pretty interesting for us. First, the poor thing got the dreaded RSV! We had been passing around a cold here at our house, but had been pretty fortunate that Greyson hadn't really gotten it too bad. We knew our time was coming though because the doctor kept telling us that RSV was going around. Unfortunately, there was another little boy at daycare who got it from his brothers, and he kindly passed it around to EVERY single child at daycare! They were dropping like flies, and then we woke up one morning and Greyson wasn't looking so hot! The good news is that he didn't have to have breathing treatments, and he got over it in about a week and half. We were so happy that it didn't effect him like we were afraid it might. With our super fun (sarcasm) trip to the hospital in October, we were afraid his little lungs would have a tougher time. But, the doctor even made a comment at his 6 month appointment that she was surprised at how great he sounds. No wheezing whatsoever!

Another big development, as you can see from his picture, is that Greyson is sitting up on his own now! He's pretty good for the most part, but when he wants a toy that is just out of reach, he falls over and rolls for it. It's pretty amusing to watch. He also thinks that it is great fun to throw himself backwards which completely freaks me out! So, we have a fortress of cushions on the floor in the living room when he is down there playing. On a side note, I've got to figure out this toy situation because I know it's only going to get worse! They are everywhere!


He will also get into the crawling stance, but he just rocks back and forth until he either gets tired and lays down, or gets over it and rolls to whatever he wants. We are in so much trouble when he starts crawling because he already rolls everywhere, so I can't imagine what will happen when he is even more mobile. He can also stand up when you hold his hands, and he thinks that is super exciting!

We have also ventured into the world of solid foods! Well, mushy versions of solid foods :). So far, he has only been eating breast milk and rice cereal, so we were really excited to test out baby food. The doctor told us to begin with orange vegetables and then work our way into the green varieties, and then eventually introduce him to fruit. We started with squash, and it was a huge success! He was literally lunging at the spoon! It was so funny!


We are supposed to wait 3 days before introducing a new food just in case he is allergic to anything. The doctor told us that from 6-9 months it isn't about nutrition so much, as it is more about getting him to get used to different tastes. Well, because he is our kid, I think we will have no problem with this phase. Haha After we finish the squash we are going to test out some sweet potatoes. So we'll see what he thinks about all of this new stuff!


Eventually he will work his way to eating solids twice a day, but for now he is just eating this at his lunchtime feeding. I mention this because it means I can FINALLY back off on pumping at work so much! Yea! If you know anything about breastfeeding you know this means there is light at the end of the tunnel, and I can taste a tiny bit more freedom. I can't wait to leave the house without having to think about the feeding/pumping situation. I should take a picture of our freezer because it is ridiculous how much milk I have frozen! I am a bit of an overachiever, and when it comes to Grey I seem to take this to the extreme in the Mommy department. Our entire freezer in the kitchen fridge is completely full! I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think I may have to throw some of it out because we are running out of room. I refuse to fill the outside fridge as well since we won't have any room for food of the non-baby variety!

In other news, Greyson is growing leaps and bounds everyday, especially mentally. He is just beginning to mimic us a bit. Scary, I know!!! He started tilting his head side to side, and at first I thought maybe his ears were bothering him, but we finally figured out that whenever we talk to him we tilt our heads (ear to shoulder, like "oh how cute" style). So now he will look at us and tilt his head back and forth! It's pretty cute now that I get what he is doing. I think this means that I am finally going to have to watch my mouth and filter my language...if you know me, you know that I have a bit of a potty mouth when I'm not at school. But, I'm pretty sure I won't think it's too cute when Greyson's first word begins with an 'f' and ends in a 'k'! haha

He is still babbling and "talking" to us, but thankfully we have limited our growling to just every once in a while (read the previous month's entry). He is using some new combinations of babble language, so I'm excited for him to figure out our names eventually.

One last thing to mention is Grey's eye color. Right now as I type this, I'm looking at a brown eyed boy! Yesterday, I was looking at a green eyed boy. So, the jury is still out on this one!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment