Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thankful

On this first Thanksgiving since my Pappaw passed away, I'm thankful for so many things in my life. But, I'm thankful for my family and the memories that we make together most of all.

On a holiday that is so closely associated with food, I tie this one to my sweet Pappaw more than most. I love food. I love to make it, eat it, experience it, and that is probably because food is love in our family--and at Thanksgiving, Pappaw and Nanny shower us with love.

Some of my earliest Thanksgiving memories are of times spent in their kitchen getting it all ready. I can remember making the chickens "pray" as I called it before they went into the oven (they look like they're praying when they're all buttered up and positioned to go in). I remember learning that there are so many ingredients in the amazing dressing that he made that I could never remember them exactly, I just knew that it was greatness in a dish. And man that dressing is so good! It's by far my favorite food of all time. On many occasions growing up it was my choice for my birthday dinner. So, naturally, dressing=Pappaw, and thanksgiving=dressing, so I'm a little sad about the holiday this year. But I will remember him and be thankful for the amazing memories I have of him on this day. I know that he would want to make sure there is enough sage in it after Nanny makes it, so I'll be sure to test it out and think of him. I can't wait for Greyson to have some, and add dressing to his list of thanks.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment